What Makes Nafion® Selectivity So Unique?
- Nafion ® permeation selectivity is based on chemical reactivity, not the size of the molecule – it is not traditional permeation.
- Nafion ® removes water by a First Order Kinetic reaction so equilibrium is reached very quickly (typically with in milliseconds).
- Only compounds that chemically associate with sulfonic acid permeate through Nafion ®. Because this is a specific chemical reaction with water, the process is very selective and molecules in solution with water do not transfer.
- Nafion ® is a copolymer of Teflon and Sulfonic acid and is highly resistant to chemical attack
- The transfer of moisture is driven by the differential water vapor pressure between the membrane sides.